The general objective of LIFE CONNECT RICOTI is to improve the conservation status of the Iberian metapopulation of the Dupont’s lark (Chersophilus duponti), increasing its structural and functional connectivity, and acting on several key subpopulations.
The specific objectives are:
- To improve structural connectivity by increasing high quality habitat, through direct habitat restoration measures, maintenance and promotion of extensive grazing in critical areas for connectivity in Catalonia, Castilla-La Mancha and Castilla y León.
- To evaluate the translocation of wild animals as a key factor for the reinforcement/rescue (assisted connectivity) of areas where the species is already extinct, almost extinct, with extremely negative population trends, and/or which are critical for connectivity in Castilla-La Mancha. Individuals from source subpopulations in good conservation status in Castilla-La Mancha will be provided.
- To reduce the genetic losses already found in marginal peripheral subpopulations of the Dupont’s lark in Castilla-La Mancha.
- To implement the measures for the conservation of the Dupont’s lark (habitat management and translocations), which are included in the Scientific Guidelines of the National Strategy for the Conservation of the species in Spain.
- Elaborate and obtain legal approval of the Regional Conservation Plan for the species in Castilla-La Mancha and the Recovery Plan for the species in Catalonia.
- Improve awareness and social valorization of the species among local stakeholders, who currently do not value the species.
- To provide demonstrative value of the effect of extensive grazing management for habitat conservation in natural steppe areas.